The financial year 2020* was challenging in many ways. The pandemic called for extraordinary measures to mitigate the effects for co-workers, business partners and communities along the value chain. At the same time, the IKEA business continued to deliver on the long-term sustainability strategy.
“This exceptional year has made us even more determined to accelerate our efforts to tackle climate change and advocate for a circular and equal society. The Covid-19 crisis is in many ways a people crisis,” says Lena Pripp-Kovac, Chief Sustainability Officer, Inter IKEA Group.
Highlights from the financial year 2020 include:
- Mitigating the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, protecting, and supporting the health and livelihood of co-workers, customers, suppliers and communities throughout the IKEA value chain.
- Reaching the forestry goal for 2020. Today, more than 98%** of the wood used is from more sustainable sources (FSC certified or recycled wood). All wood used in IKEA products is sourced from responsibly managed forests which do not contribute to deforestation.
- Completing the circular assessment of 9500 + products - from furniture to accessories.
- Testing more circular services such as buy-back programmes and new ownership models.
For IKEA Social Entrepreneurship, the report highlights our achievements during FY20 which include:
- the scaling up of 36 social entrepreneurs through our programmes
- that some 2,700 people (89% of which are women) worked producing products for IKEA
- over 28,000 smallholder producers supplied raw materials
You can find more examples of our progress in the IKEA Sustainability Report FY20. The report shows progress from across the entire IKEA value chain, including Inter IKEA Group, franchisees and suppliers. The IKEA People & Planet Positive sustainability strategy outlines the ambitions and commitments, creating a common agenda leading together towards 2030. Each part of the IKEA business sets goals and road maps to deliver on the strategy and to allow for locally tailored and relevant activities.
You can find more details in our Sustainability Report FY20 which is available now online and to download.
* The financial year 2020 (FY20) is the period from 1 September 2019 to 31 August 2020.** We consider a goal to be fully reached when we achieve more than 98% fulfilment overall. Due to unexpected disruptions or development of new suppliers/business partners, we cannot guarantee 100% fulfilment at every given point in time.